About two weeks ago I started to get a baking itch. It started when I found the King Size Corn Muffins at ReTorte. I didn’t yet make the corn muffins, I opted for her blueberry muffins – with my own twist. I’m not saying my “twist” was the best choice, but I wanted to give it a try.
So, here is the recipe for Blueberries Muffins (based on ReTorte’s version)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- zest of one lemon
- Shaved chocolate (amount of your choice – and purely optional)
WARNING: Educational Content – “Zest” is the outer skin of the fruit. One can obtain the zest by using a fine peeler.
- Mix the butter and sugar together until you have a fine, light, mix batter.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla.
- Mix in dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk in 2 or 3 additions, to the butter/sugar/egg mixture.
- Add zest.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Scoop into muffin tins, greased or with papers, and bake at 350F for 25 – 30 minutes.
There is some debate around the house about the addition of the shaved chocolate. Personally, I like the taste of the chocolate and lemon. Others may not care for the the taste. It really depends on what your taste is.
Thoughts/tips to consider:
- Your oven will vary. I baked this batch for 28 mins, but on my next go around I will keep the muffins in for only 25.
- You can try different ingredients in place of the lemon. Let your imagination run wild.
- The addition of poppy seeds would be perfect for this.