Pear-Almond Muffins with Ginger-Cream SpreadPosted in Baking, Breakfast, Desserts, Low Calorie, Snacks on December 12th, 2009 by Eileen Devlin
The desire to make these turned into an unexpected late night mission and I have to say I am VERY glad I did it! I thought the combination of these flavors sounded interesting and I’ve never had a ‘pear muffin’ before. So, let’s get to the how-to, shall we?
You will require:
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c whole bran cereal
3/4 c fat-free milk
3/4 c chopped, peeled pear (I used bosc)
2 egg whites, slightly beaten
3 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp finely chopped almonds
1. Preheat oven to 400 and prep your 12-2.5 in muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl stir together your flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
2. In a medium bowl stir together cereal and milk and let this stand for 5 min. Stir in egg whites, oil, and pear. Add this mixture then to your flour mixture and combine until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
3. Spoon batter into muffin cups – about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with almonds and bake for 15-18 mins or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
4. While the muffins are baking here is how to make the ginger-cream spread: in a small bowl combine 4 oz of light cream cheese with a 1/4 tsp of ground ginger OR 2 tsps finely crushed crystallized ginger and 2 add tsp of honey.
5. Cool muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 mins. Serve with the ginger-cream spread. Makes 12 servings. You WILL enjoy!
***Side note: you can also make the batter ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and just bake a few at a time.
Total fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrate: 24 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 163 mg