This is one of the most decadent desserts I have made – per my friends’ request (they are so lucky!). I took a cake recipe and decided to do cupcakes instead. . .presentation could have been better but I kid you not these taste incredible!
It was strongly suggested to make the frosting first as it takes time to reach the right consistency:
12 0z evaporated milk
1.5 c sugar
3/4 c butter
4 egg yolks
1-8 oz flaked coconut
1.5 c chopped pecans (I smashed them up more for a finer and more even consistency)
Combine first four ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat for about 12 min or until thick (soft rolling boil is good). Remove from heat and then stir in coconut and pecans. Keep stirring until consistency is thick enough for frosting – when you remove your spoon from the mixture it should stick. This may take a while. . .
4-1 oz squares German Sweet Chocolate (Baker’s)
1/2 c water
2 cups all purpose flour (you can use cake flour if you decide to make an actual cake)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 c butter softened
2 c sugar
4 egg yolks and whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350 and prep your pan/cupcake pan (liners)
2. Microwave chocolate and water about 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway.
3. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda
4. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add one yolk at a time and beat. Stir in chocolate and vanilla. Add flour/buttermilk alternately.
5. In separate bowl beat egg whites on high until soft peaks form and fold into batter.
6. Bake for approx 30 mins for cake and about 20-23 mins for cupcakes. I yielded 24 cupcakes, but I think I could have put a little less batter in each and made more. Note: I also used cake flour which may have affected how they came out. Tops were a bit flat so I’m not sure where I went wrong. So far I have rave reviews by the hubby!
UPDATE: The cupcakes have made it to their destination and from what I’m told I’m getting ribs in return. Not a bad exchange so they must be good – LOL!
***I am definitely going to attempt making this again and hopefully they will come out looking a bit better. I think once you taste the frosting it won’t matter what the rest looks like. I swear, the BEST frosting ever.
I have no clue what the nutritional information is for each cupcake. Why bother?