Home made NaanPosted in Appetizers, Indian on January 19th, 2010 by Van Santos
The Butter Chicken from the other day needed a final touch – Naan. Since I do not have a tandoori oven I thought “Well, damn, I’m out of luck when it comes to making home made Naan.” Not so!
1 cup plain flour
2 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
I’ve made some small changes to the recipe. You’ll, I think, be position for better results.
1. For the dough, sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a bowl. In another bowl, mix together the milk and oil.
2. Mix the flour mixture and pour in the liquid mixture. Slowly mix together, incorporating the flour from the edges of the bowl, making a smooth and soft dough.
3. Knead well for 8-10 minutes.
4. Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea-towel and leave in a warm place for at least an hour
5. Cut ball into the number of pieces you desire. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Roll the dough balls out quite thinly. Sprinkle over your chosen topping and press into the surface of the dough.
7. Place the naans onto the a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, then broil for 2. Turn if one naan is more brown than another.
8. Brush with butter and serve!
Quick, easy and ready for any dish.