Indian Butter Chicken Over Basmati RicePosted in Chicken, Indian on January 17th, 2010 by Van Santos
Ok, time for yet another new dish – Indian Butter Chicken. Having never even eaten the dish before, I wasn’t sure who it was supposed to turn out… talk about a shot in the dark!
Here we go – Ingredients
Let’s start making the sauce:
1) Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Saute shallot and onion until translucent.
2) Stir in butter, lemon juice, ginger and garlic pastes, garam masala, chili powder, cumin and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3) Add tomato sauce, cook for 5 minutes, make sure to stir.
4) Add in half-and-half and yogurt, stir.
5) Reduce heat to low, simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
6) Remove from heat and set aside.
For the chicken:
1) Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
2) Cook chicken for about 10 minutes.
3) Reduce heat, and season with 2 teaspoons garam masala and cayenne.
4) Stir in a few spoonfuls of sauce, and simmer until liquid has reduced, and chicken is no longer pink.
5) Stir cooked chicken into sauce.
6) Next you’ll mix together the cornstarch and water, then stir into the sauce. Cook for 10 minutes.
7) Serve over basmati rice and enjoy
From what I was told by my resident Indian food expert, my wife, the dish was quite good. I would agree. I really enjoy the garam masala in the dish and the sauce is so… rich… fantastic.