This looked intriguing and since I had been turned on to the use of kale in various recipes I decided to give this a shot. I love onion – it doesn’t matter what kind – because I think it does so much for flavor and so the sweet onion here turned out to be a great flavor combination with the kale and swiss cheese.
What you’ll need:
1 large sweet onion
1 lb very lean ground beef (the leaner the better)
1. 5 tsp garlic powder
4 slices low fat swiss cheese
8 red or green kale leaves, stems removed
2 tsp olive oil
4 – texas toast, toasted
1. Peel and cut onion into 4 – 1/4 in thick slices. Shape meat loosely into 4 1/2 thick patties; sprinkle with garlic powder, 1/3 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Press one onion slice into the center of each patty and shape meat around onion until top of onion is flush with the surface of the meat patty (this was really tricky for me).
2. Place meat, onion side up on the rack of an uncovered grill and cook to desired doneness, turning once halfway through. Brush kale leaves lightly with oil and add to grill the last minute or so of grilling.
3. To serve, place two kale leaves and slice of cheese atop each bread slice. Top with a burger, onion side up and serve with choice of side (I did sweet potato fries). Makes 4 servings.
1. I could have melted the cheese on the kale in the oven for a minute or two.
2. The onion didn’t completely grill the way I would have liked.
But overall, the taste was a success. Just keep in mind that this is definitely a fork and knife type burger
Total fat: 10 g
Cholesterol: 78 mg
Sodium: 387 mg
Carbohydrate: 22 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 34 g