Turkey Meatballs in Mushroom GravyPosted in Low Calorie, Main Course, Poultry on March 14th, 2010 by Eileen Devlin
Meatballs – one of my all time fave comfort foods. But, of course, I found a low-cal version which is very, very good! Seasoned just right and with a mushroom gravy – definitely hit the spot for the day. I hope you enjoy as well.
1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 c chopped onion
1/4 c plain bread crumbs
1/4 c fresh parsley, snipped
1/2 tsp dried basil, crumbled
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
8 oz fresh mushroooms sliced
1/2 tbsp dried thyme, crumbled
1 c fat free, no salt added beef broth
2 tsp cornstarch
1. In a large bowl, stir together the turkey, onion, bread crumbs, parsley, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Shape into 16 meatballs.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and lightly spray with vegetable oil spray. Cool the meatbals for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown on all sides, turning frequently. Transfer to a plate.
3. In the same skillet cook the mushrooms and thyme for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Return meatballs to skillet and pour on 3/4 c broth. Reduce the heat to medium; cook, covered, for 6-8 minutes, or until meatballs are heated through.
5. Put the cornstarch in a small bowl and add the remaining broth and whisk. Add to skillet and stir well. Simmer for 1 minute until sauce thickens for a gravy consistency. Yields 4 (4 meatball) servings. Serve over your choice of side – Enjoy!
Total Fat: 1.5 g
Cholesterol: 77 mg
Sodium: 423 mg
Carbohydrate: 11 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 31 g