Yes, this post is a few months late. If you haven’t noticed, I really haven’t been posting. But don’t worry! The Fabergé themed Easter caked tradition did not die.
The white cake recipe used in the past cake efforts was also used in this; however, this year fondant was replaced with Buttercream frosting! Here is the recipe:
- 2 cups (1 pound) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable shortening or hi-ratio shortening
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 1.5 teaspoons lemon extract, pure vanilla extract or almond extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds 10x confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 0.5 cups + 1 tablespoon water, mild or clear liquer
- Cream shortening and butter with an electric, handheld or paddle-whip mixer.
- Add flavoring and salt.
- Gradually add sugar, on cup at a time.
- Add meringue powder. (The mixture will appear dry)
- Add liquid of choice and beat until light and fluffy (approximately 5-8 minutes). Keep the bowl covered with a damp cloth or plastic wrap.
Oh, the frosting was SO GOOD. SO very good.